Written by Angel Polacco
In order to drive in Qatar, you need to have a valid driver’s license. Unfortunately, due to the climate in the country and developing public transportation system, it’s hard to commute around the city by foot. It’s definitely recommended that you get around the city with your own vehicle, as in the long run it may be cheaper than always having to book a taxi.
In Qatar, the official authority for issuing a driver’s license is the Traffic Department.
Here are some of the requirements for new drivers:
1. You must be 18 years or older to drive a lightweight vehicle or motorcycle in Qatar 2. You will be required to take an eye test (the Traffic Department, clinics, licensed professionals, and some driving schools, also provide this service) 3. You will have to apply for a license at the Traffic Department, located in Madinat Khalifa (the applications vary) - for residents in Qatar, employers must sign the application form for the new license and specify the type 4. You must have a copy of the application form in Arabic (the Ministry can provide this service for a small fee) 5. You will be required to enroll in driving school and take lessons 6. You will be required to take a driving test 7. You will need to pay a fee of QR 250 (valid for 5 years). For Qataris, a fee of QR 500 (valid for 10 years). Additional fees apply for driving and vision tests You can find the different application procedures below.
1. Applying to driving school:
2. Once you’ve enrolled in driving school:
3. For new residents in Qatar holding a driving license from another country:
If you’re an expat and you already have a driver’s license from your country, you can use an international driving permit for up to six months. However, you are required to hold a Qatari driving license once this period ends. Qatar recognizes some licenses from other countries, these can be converted into a Qatari license without the requirement of taking any driving lessons or tests.
4. For tourists, including those from the GCC:
Are you planning to get a driver’s license in Qatar? Did this article help? Comment below! Don’t forget to give us a like and a share!
(All images for illustrative purposes only, Source for information: Hukoomi)
There are multiple advertising possibilities with the ILQ network, drop us an e-mail at [email protected] for inquiries!
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
Salam! Welcome to our brand new site! Looking good huh?
We’ve got loads of cool new features and to help make sure your account is secure, you’ll need to reset your password the first time you log in.
New to ILQ? What are you waiting for? Sign up!
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!