As part of its efforts in combating the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Qatar, the Public Works Authority (Ashghal) is building a field hospital with a capacity of 150 beds and a shaded space with a capacity of 800 beds, with all the required equipment and supplies.
Apart from this, the following are Ashghal's role in facing the current outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country:
- Install thermal cameras in workers' accommodations to measure their temperature remotely and avoid the crowding that can be caused by measuring the temperature manually.
- Providing medical masks to workers and obliging them to wear them.
- Temporarily suspending the cleaning and hospitality services.
- A study was carried out in Ashghal's building to test the existing of the coronavirus in air samples within 8 hours (during working hours) in cooperation with the concerned entities.
- Daily sanitizing pf workers' accommodations, transportation vehicles before and after use, and site offices before and after each shift.
- Taking immediate medical action upon the occurrence of symptoms on workers.
- Implementing the Prime Minister's decision to reduce the number of employees present to 20% of the total number of employees, while 80% of them start working from home. This was done by providing the employees with electronic devices to enable them to carry on the work.
- Establish a flexible plan for employees in the Assets Affairs to ensure that roads and drainage networks are monitored around the clock.
- Implementing all precautionary measures in all of Ashghal's project sites, periodic inspection of workers in worksites to verify compliance with health and safety standards and the Ministry of Public Health instructions.
- Holding workshops and awareness campaigns in project sites since the beginning of the coronavirus crisis.
- Providing food and personal necessities to workers to avoid them going out after work.
- Ashghal holds direct visits to Customer Service offices and encourages its customers to benefit from the E-services provided by Ashghal or contact the call center 188.
- Ashghal temporarily suspends services for dewatering and tanker permits for the next three months. Current permit holders may continue their operations without renewing expired permits within this period.
- establishing an event management team in the Assets Affairs to be able to follow the developments of the coronavirus and conduct the work accordingly.
- Conducting meetings via voice/video conference.
- Suspending the distribution of physical copies of newspapers and advising the employee to view electronic newspapers.
- Reducing the number of people allowed to use the elevator to only 4 people at the same time.
- Ashghal urged companies and contractors to partake in community service.
- Asghahl Ambassadors participate in volunteer work with Qatar Charity in the face of the coronavirus.
- Holding an awareness session to prevent spreading the virus, targeted towards companies and contractors working on Ashghal's projects.
Source: Ashghal Qatar