“Hope Floats” Raft Race 2012
Date: Friday 30th March, 2012
Festivities Start: 11:00 AM – Sharp!
Arrive: 8:00 AM
Don’t be late, we won’t wait!
Location: InterContinental Hotel Beach (Bay Club Tennis Entrance)
1st, 2nd, 3rd Place race finishers.
The Tea Cup Award: awarded to the raft with the best synthesis of creativity, engineering, and speed – chosen from the first three finishers of the main race.
The Fabulous GM`s Award: presented to the raft more likely to cause a spectacle than win the race.
The Van Gogh Award: presented to the most artistic raft.
The Flop Award: presented to the raft with the most impressive failure.
On Friday March 30th the InterContinental Doha will be hosting its 1st Annual Recycled Raft Race. InterContinental Doha is committed to ensuring a greener tomorrow for future generations, and would like this event to showcase the many creative uses for previously discarded materials, and products.
Participating teams will be challenged to build a safe seaworthy craft out of recycled materials and race it around a pre-set course. Points will be awarded to the most creative raft and stylish crew as well as for those who finish the course in the fastest time. Winning Teams will receive an assortment of amazing prizes. Team registration is 500 QAR for schools, and 1000 QAR for companies. Your team size cannot exceed 6 persons
For those not racing, our beach is the perfect spot for a family day out. A kids village comprising of bouncy castle, Music, face painting, beach soccer, and an assortment of fun interactive games, will keep the little ones entertained, while Mum and Dad enjoy the race, soak up the sun, and savour our 5 star food and beverage. Entrance for the day is 50 QAR per person, or 200 QAR per family (up to 6 persons).
We are expecting an extremely large turnout for this first of its kind event in Doha and therefore register your team early, and start building you raft! All funds generated from this event will be used towards the InterContinental Doha Back to Nature Project, which oversees the monthly clean-up of Safliya Island.
Safliya Island is a small island just outside the main city of Doha with a spectacular view of the city. More importantly for us is that this island is a breeding place for many types of birds as well as a nearby reef that is not only great for snorkeling, but a home to a variety of sea creatures. The task for us is to keep this island free from debris and contaminants in order to preserve this necessary habitat for the birds and fish.
Please find the Rules, Regulations and sign up information attached. The entire InterContinental Doha team are all committed to a greener Qatar and look forward to your support of this worthwhile endeavour. See you on the Beach!
InterContinental Doha 1st Annual Raft Race
Schedule of Events
March 30th 2012
Thursday March 29th 2012
• New Beach Gates open at 8am for boat delivery and final adjustments.
• New Beach Gates close at 4pm
Friday March 30th 2012
• 8:00am Gates open for race participants
• 9:30am Gates open for Public 50 QAR per person or 200 QAR per family
• 10:00am Welcome address by the MC
• 10:00am Kids Village opens: Kids village will include a Bouncy Castle, Face Painting, beach soccer, and DJ music.
• 10:15am Safety inspection of teams and boats by Hotel Recreation Team
• 10:00am – 6:00pm Food and Drink will be available throughout the event through the InterContinental Doha Pool Bar restaurant
• 11:00 am Teams parade their boats on the new beach for judging
• 12noon – 3pm Races commence
• 3:00pm – 4:00pm Awards presentation by the MC to the winning teams
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers from each race
- The Tea Cup Award: awarded to the raft with the best synthesis of creativity, engineering, and speed
- The fabulous GM’s Award: presented to the raft more likely to cause a spectacle than win the race
- The Van Gogh Award: presented to the most artistic raft
- The Flop Award: presented to the raft with the most impressive failure
• 4:00pm – 5:00pm Teams to remove rafts from the InterContinental Doha New Beach area
• 6:00pm Event Close for public
“Hope Floats” Raft Race
March 30th, 2012 from 10am - 3pm
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FORM
Follow us on our social media channels: