Sign in Register
Posted On: 10 October 2011 07:23 am
Updated On: 12 November 2020 02:11 pm

Nov start for work on Barzan gas project

Discuss here!
Start a discussion
Qatar’s efforts at ensuring clean energy for its rapidly-developing domestic market will get a boost with the commencement of the execution phase for the multi-billion dollar Barzan gas project early next month. A symbolic stone-laying ceremony for the Barzan project, a Qatar Petroleum - ExxonMobil joint venture, will be held on November 1. HH the Heir Apparent Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani will preside over the function. HE the Minister for Energy and Industry Dr Mohamed bin Saleh al-Sada, also QP chairman, along with senior QP, ExxonMobil and RasGas executives and some 550 guests from the local community and global energy industry will attend the function. The Barzan gas project is “strategically important” for Qatar’s long-term sustainable development and will be one of the “most innovative” engineering projects ever undertaken in Qatar. It will be completed in two phases – train 1 will come onstream in 2014 and train 2 in 2015, said RasGas, the developer and operator of the Barzan project. When completed the two new processing trains together with other RasGas facilities (liquefied natural gas and pipeline sales gas) will produce around 11bn standard cubic feet per day (the equivalent of almost 2mn barrels of oil). And at full operation, they will supply about 1.4bn standard cubic feet of gas per day and meet Qatar’s accelerating gas demand for its power stations and downstream industries. It will also provide sufficient gas to Qatar’s domestic market to meet the country’s growing need for clean burning natural gas for many years to come. Qatar Petroleum will own a 93% stake and ExxonMobil the remaining 7% in the Barzan project. RasGas said the project complemented its “long-term strategy to deliver outstanding business results and play a major part in Qatar’s economic growth”. “The project will generate more jobs and a wide array of opportunities for suppliers and other businesses that will positively impact the lives of people living and working in Qatar,” RasGas said. Recently, HE the Deputy Premier and Chairman of Emiri Diwan Abdullah bin Hamad al-Attiyah said in Japan that Barzan was one of the most important projects, aimed at supplying the Qatari market and helping it meet its gas needs. “Barzan project will play a key role in maintaining the high rates of Qatar’s economic growth,” al-Attiyah said. Highlighting the significance of the project during his recent visit to Japan, al-Sada said it would serve the power, water and industries sectors in Qatar.