Sign in Register
Posted On: 9 May 2012 10:07 am
Updated On: 12 November 2020 02:11 pm

Mother sues Aqua Park for negligence in boy’s death

Discuss here!
Start a discussion
The mother of the eight-year-old boy who died after he was rushed for emergency medical care from Aqua Park on Friday, has filed a complaint with the Public Prosecution alleging that she lost her son due to ‘criminal negligence’ of the Park’s management. No safety instructions were displayed near the pool, nor were there any life guards available at the time the tragic incident took place. There also were no first aid facilities at Aqua Park, the mother has claimed in her complaint, local Arabic daily Al Arab reported yesterday. According to the mother, Mohamed Shahda was playing with his brother and sister in one of the sporting facilities of the Park late on Friday afternoon. Shahda’s brother left the pool to have food, while Shahda and his sister continued playing in the sprawling pool. Shahda insisted on venturing into another area of the pool but his sister asked him not to. A little later it was time for evening prayers, so the sister left to say her prayers. According to their mother’s complaint, however, when she returned in about 10 minutes after having said her prayers she discovered to her horror that her brother was lying in a bad shape near a mosque besides the pool. People began to gather there and some of them tried to administer First Aid on the boy. The sister called in the emergency number, but the ambulance arrived after 45 minutes, Al Arab said quoting from the mother’s complaint. It took another 30 minutes for the ambulance to ferry the boy to Al Sadd children’s emergency. “It took almost an hour and 15 minutes for the boy to get medical attention after the drowning incident,” said the mother adding that he should have instead been picked up by air ambulance. Shahda’s brother accompanied him in the ambulance and according to him, the life support device on which he was put while being taken to hospital showed that his heart was beating. This means that he died while in hospital, claimed the mother in her complaint. She told the Public Prosecution that even the medical report suggested that his son had died due to drowning. However, when contacted an official from Aqua Park told The Peninsula that there were six lifeguards at the time the incident took place and the boy was taken out of the water sporting facility by them. There were three doctors present at the time and they did administer First Aid on the boy before the ambulance came in. “It took between 15 and 20 minutes for the ambulance to arrive,” the official claimed. The boy was vomiting water and food particles. He had swallowed a lot of water. “It all happened in maybe just five minutes,” the official said of the incident. The Peninsula