The Arabic language is beautiful and whether you're living in Qatar, or in the country on a visit for the biggest football tournament this 2022, it's good to be familiar with some of the common Arabic words and phrases used in everyday life. It'll make things easy for you, especially when you're in the souqs or on the dhows.
The ILoveQatar.net (ILQ) team has put together some common words in Arabic you can learn easily and identify, too. Yalla! Happy learning!
1. Hala = Hello; Hi
2. Marhaba = Hello
3. As salam alaykum = Peace be upon you
4. Sabah al khair = Good morning
5. Sabah al nour = Response to Sabah al khair (good morning)
6. Ma’assalama = Good bye/take care
1. Naam = Yes
2. Laa = No
3. Sah = Correct
4. Yalla = Let’s go; come on; hurry up
5. Ya'ani = Meaning; you know; like; so
6. Khalas = It's over; finish; finished
7. Maadri = I don’t know
8. Maafi mushkila = No problem
9. Mub ghaltiti = It's not my fault
10. Abee musa'ada = I need help
11. Ahibik (for male)/ Ahibich (for female) = I love you
12. Ajeeb = amazing; cool; magical
13. Wen arouh? = Where do I go?
14. Wain…? = Where is..?
15. Wainik (for male)/ Wainich (for female) = Where are you?
16. Kam as-sa’ah? = What time is it?
17. Shlon youmik? = How was your day?
18. Wain al hamam? = Where is the restroom?
1. Shismik (for male)/ Shismich (for female) = What's your name?
2. Ismii Mohammad = My name is Mohammad
3. Tasharafna = Pleasure to meet you
4. Int min wain? (for male)/ Inti min wain? (for female) = Where are you from?
5. Titkalem ingaleezee (for male)/ Titkalemeen ingaleezee (for female)? = Do you speak English?
6. Anaa laa ata haddath al'ingiliiziyya = I don't speak English
7. Lil'asaf, anaa ata haddath faqat qaliil min alaarabiyya = Unfortunately, I only speak a little Arabic
8. Shlonik (for male)/ Shlonich (for female) = How are you?
9. Ana bikhayr = I'm fine
10. Ana zein = I’m good
11. Shakh-bar-ak (for male)/ Shakh-bar-ich (for female) = What’s up?
1. Bismillah = In the name of God
2. Insha’allah = God willing; with God's help; hopefully
3. Masha'allah = an expression of joy, appreciation, thankfulness; keeping envy and the evil eye away from the one receiving the compliment
4. Alhamdulillah = Thanks and praise be to God
5. Shukran (jazeelan) = Thank you (very much)
6. Ya’tik al ‘afiah (for male)/ Ya’tiki al ‘afiah (for female) = thank you; may God give you health and strength
7. Afwan = You’re welcome!
8. Min fadhlik (for male)/ Min fadhlch (for female) = Please
9. Ana asif = I’m sorry
10. Law samaht = Excuse me
11. Mabrouk = Congratulations!
1. Yameen = Right
2. Yasar = Left
3. Seeda/ Ala tool= Go straight
4. Amam/ Jidam = Front
5. Wara (Qatari) or Khalf = Back
6. Shlon arooh Soug Wagif = How do I get to Souq Waqif?
1. Ib kam = How much is this?
2. A'atni khasam = Please reduce the price
3. Ana yo-an/ Ana yo-ana = I am hungry
4. Abee wahid karak = I want one karak
1. Wahid = One
2. Ithnain = Two
3. Thalatha = Three
4. Arba'ah = Four
5. Khamsa = Five
6. Sitta = Six
7. Sab-ah = Seven
8. Thamanya = Eight
9. Tis-ah = Nine
10. Ashara = Ten
1. Mataar = Airport
2. Mustashfa = Hospital
3. Bank = Bank
4. Safara = Embassy
5. Funduq = Hotel
6. Mat'am = Restaurant
7. Baqala = Supermarket or grocery store
Cover image credit: Shutterstock
Follow us on our social media channels:
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!