The GOALZ Programme held its first end of term football festival over the weekend, with the first day taking place at Al Gharafa’s training pitches on Friday November 20. The following day the tournament was held at Al Arabi’s training facilities with matches kicking off at 1pm.
The GOALZ Programme was designed to engage children of all ages in football as well as educate them about being active and staying healthy. At the same time, the GOALZ Programme also ensures that children around the country learn about the Qatar Stars League and its 14 top division football clubs.
Al Gharafa GOALZ Football tournament (Friday November 20)
The list of honours from Friday’s Year 3 and 4 tournaments were:
• Tournament Winners – Newton D-Ring Road (Al Arabi Sports Club)
• Tournament Runners Up – Lycee Voltaire (Al Sadd Sports Club)
• Fair Play Winners – Lycee Voltaire (Al Sadd Sports Club)
• Plate Winners – Lebanese School (Al Gharafa)
• Plate Runners Up – Lebanese School (Qatar Sports Club)
• Player of the tournament – Sara Rajawi of Lycee Voltaire (Al Sadd Sports Club)
On the same day, Year 1 and 2 played a non-competitive festival in which all students received a participation certificate:
The teams were as follows:
• Lycee Voltaire West Bay (Al Arabi Sports Club)
• Lycee Voltaire Al Waab (Al Sadd Sports Club)
• Lebanese School (Qatar Sports Club)
• Lebanese School (Al Gharafa Sports Club)
Al Arabi GOALZ Football tournament (Saturday November 21)
The following schools took part:
• Lebanese School
• Newton International School
• Newton International Academy
• Compass International School – Rayyan
• Compass International School – Gharafa
The list of honours from Saturday’s Year 5 and 6 tournaments were:
• Tournament winners - Lebanese School
• Tournament Runners Up - Newton International School
• Fair Play Winners - Newton International Academy
• Plate Winners – Newton International Academy
• Plate Runners Up - Compass International School
On Saturday, the second day of the festival, QSL Online also grabbed a few words from the Qatar Stars League representative Nasser Mubark Alkuwari who is the Community Relations Specialist.
“The GOALZ Programme is part of the QSL’s Social Responsibility strategy. The QSL conducts this football programme as part of creating a sustainable football legacy in Qatar. We want children to play football into adulthood and also at the same time support one of the local clubs here in Qatar.”
He added, “This programmes creates an opportunity for people of various nationalities to come together and play together and make friends. It really helps create a sense of community here in Doha.”
Community Department Manager James Mwale who helped organise the two festivals spoke with QSL Online and explained that the festival is the highlight of a six week football training programme.
“Today is the highlight of all the hard work that has taken place over the six weeks in the schools. Seeing all the children come here today from the various schools and play in a competitive but friendly environment. This is a celebration of all the children’s hard work and you can see that they love playing football and learning about the QSL clubs too.”
He added “This programme has been provided completely free of charge to the selected schools who are involved in the project.”
There are multiple advertising possibilities with the ILQ network, drop us an e-mail at [email protected] for inquiries!
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
Salam! Welcome to our brand new site! Looking good huh?
We’ve got loads of cool new features and to help make sure your account is secure, you’ll need to reset your password the first time you log in.
New to ILQ? What are you waiting for? Sign up!
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!