Did you miss out most important political stories of this week concerning the GCC crisis? Every Thursday, we take a moment to bring you all the updates on the latest developments in the ongoing Gulf crisis. So scroll to take a look at the latest news in our weekly GCC Crisis updates report.
And here’s what’s happened since last week’s updates: Qatari force arrives in Saudi Arabia to take part in military exercises despite Gulf dispute -- GCC Crisis Updates Week 90.
The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Oman could stage some World Cup 2022 matches if required by hosts Qatar in order to hold an expanded event, the UAE’s sports chief told Reuters in an interview in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday (February 27).
“If the crisis is resolved, we are more than happy to help them organise the World Cup,” Chairman of the UAE General Sports Authority Mohammed Khalfan al-Romaithi said of the potential for the UAE to host some matches.
“But I know that if the crisis remains we cannot,” he told Reuters.
He said the UAE as well as Kuwait and Oman can meet FIFA requirements to host World Cup matches. He also said those countries could hold games at smaller stadiums if permitted by FIFA.
Romaithi last month told Reuters the UAE would welcome an approach to co-host the 2022 World Cup if its rift with Qatar was resolved. He believes the UAE is capable of hosting matches for two groups.
FIFA is expected to decide next month whether it will expand the World Cup in Qatar from 32 to 48 teams.
Chairman of the National Human Rights Committee (NHRC) Dr Ali bin Sumaikh Al Marri called on the European Parliament to send a fact-finding mission to Saudi Arabia to find out the fate of three Qatari nationals who forcibly disappeared there since the beginning of the blockade of Qatar on June 5 of 2017. He called on the Qatari government to take all legal measures to pursue their fate and demand their immediate release, and to go to the Security Council to file a complaint regarding the UAE's failure to comply with the decision of the International Court of Justice. To know more, click HERE!
Dubai’s biggest port operator has followed Abu Dhabi in advising that third-party shippers can now move cargo to and from Qatar, seemingly easing restrictions in place for nearly two years., reported Bloomberg.
Qatari-flagged ships and vessels with Qatari owners are still prohibited, DP World Ltd., which runs the Jebel Ali port, said in a circular dated Feb. 21. Other vessels coming from or traveling to Qatar and ships carrying cargo between Qatar and the United Arab Emirates are not barred. Abu Dhabi Ports issued a similar statement to shippers on Feb. 12.
What are your thoughts on these latest developments in the ongoing GCC Crisis? Drop us a line and tell us your thoughts in the comments below, and don’t forget to like and share this article.
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!