Whenever a controversy or crisis occurs, it attracts a lot of media attention. Unfortunately, some media organizations use this as an opportunity to perpetuate their own subjective agendas instead of reporting impartially or on both sides of the story.
It's always important to verify and cross-check sources, particularly if you see different information being circulated. Facebook has an option to report fake news, and it's very easy to do! In fact, Facebook encourages people to report fake news and stop the spread of misinformation.
We provide an example from a recent fake news story published by the Khaleej Times about Qatar banning its residents and citizens from traveling from the country.
Here are the five simple steps:
1. Click the drop down menu on the right-hand corner of a post:
2. Once you click it, select 'Report post':
3. After selecting 'Report post,' another box pops up. Here you select 'I think it shouldn't be on Facebook.':
4. This then leads you to another box which asks 'What's wrong with this post?' Here you select 'It's a fake news story.":
5. Finally, you have the option to choose how to act:
If you see fake news, don't be afraid to report or flag it! You're doing a social service to your community and the world!
Article inspired by Buzzfeed, images are screenshots.
Did you find this post useful? If you did, let us know in the comments below! Don't forget to give us a like and a share - it keeps us going!
Follow us on our social media channels:
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!