As the temperature in summer goes up in Qatar, it’s important to protect your homes, cars, and electronic devices from direct sunlight as much as possible to prevent the possibility of a fire accident.
It's good to be prepared so do follow the tips given below to avoid accidents.
Sometimes, cars may overheat in the hot summer months. If the temperature gauge in the car’s dashboard is reaching a dangerously high level, immediately stop the car, turn off the ignition, and open the bonnet/hood. Put your foot on the accelerator; this will release heat in the car and pull water and air into the radiator causing the engine to cool down.
When parking your car, try to park it in the shade to prevent direct sunlight exposure.
Never leave lighters, especially disposable ones in the car.
Ensure your car is fitted with a heat extinguisher.
Have the car checked regularly for maintenance issues like electrical short circuits, oil leaks, and engine malfunctions to avoid any fire accidents.
Dispose of your used cigarettes properly. Do not throw them while they are still lighted. Extinguish them properly before throwing them into an ashtray or dustbin.
Do not leave your phones, laptops, or other electronic devices in the car for long periods of time. Most electronic devices come with lithium-ion batteries and these may be susceptible to overheating when left in the heat and may cause the risk of a fire.
Hand sanitisers and similar products containing ethanol, so they can be flammable, too. Ensure you do not leave them unattended in your car, as they may burst and cause a fire.
Inside the home
Have your air conditioners checked and serviced regularly to ensure air filters and vents are not clogged up with dust and debris.
When you are out of the house, keep your air conditioners off. Keeping them on even when you are out of the house for long periods of time, may cause a short circuit in the wiring and start a fire.
Make sure you don’t have too many electronics plugged into one electrical outlet as it may cause short-circuiting and lead to a fire.
Do not charge your phones, laptops, and other electronic devices all night as the devices and switches may overheat leading to a risk of fire.
Flammable materials like detergents and other cleaning agents should be kept away from heat and sources of flame.
Make sure to clean exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathrooms and have them regularly maintained. Turn them off from time to time, so the circuit doesn't get overheated and catch fire.
NOTE: Always ensure that all fire fighting equipment like fire alarms, fire extinguishers, sprinklers and fire blankets are in working order.
Do you have any other tips to help prevent fires and keep us safe during the hot Qatari summer months? Do let us know in our comments section.