Sign in Register
Posted On: 17 June 2009 08:58 am
Updated On: 12 November 2020 02:09 pm

Three swine flu cases in Qatar

Paper Boy
Paper Boy
Discuss here!
Start a discussion
The Supreme Council of Health yesterday announced three confirmed cases of swine flu in Qatar, in the first incidence of the disease in the country. The first case tested positive for the H1N1 virus was a two-year old boy from New Zealand who came to Doha from Melbourne in Australia last Saturday to join his parents here. The second victim was a two-and-a-half year old American boy of Bangladeshi origin who was transiting through Doha on a Qatar Airways flight on his way from New York to Bangladesh. In the third incident, a 17-year old Iraqi university student based in Doha who returned from a trip to Washington last Saturday was tested positive for the virus. All the three cases were officially confirmed by the Minister of Heath H E Abdullah bin Khalid Al Qahtani yesterday. The boy in transit has been quarantined at the Hamad Medical City while the other two patients are being treated at their homes, senior Council officials disclosed at a press conference held on short notice yesterday afternoon. They confirmed that none of the cases was serious. The Council, meanwhile, denied rumours circulating through SMS yesterday that an employee of an international restaurant group in Doha was diagnosed with swine flu. The Council said that rumours regarding the closure of the food outlet was also not true. “The Supreme Council of Health is the only body that is responsible for announcing the discovery of H1N1 infections in Qatar,” said the Council in a statement issued yesterday. It also urged the public not to believe in such rumours and seek the correct information from the right sources. Dr Abdul Wahab Al Musleh, Director of the Emergency Department at the Hamad Medical Corporation, said in all the three cases, the infection was confirmed after elaborate tests conducted at the airport clinic and various HMC facilities dedicated for the purpose. The boy in transit was tested at the airport clinic following high fever.