Most of the construction firms in Qatar have started implementing the government’s directive to stop “work in the open” during mid-day from June 15 to August 31.
The ban imposed by the Ministry of Labour extends from 11am to 3pm during the peak summer months.
Company representatives said they were abiding by the instructions.
Rico Dela Rosa, a Filipino engineer, told Gulf Times that they received a circular from Public Works Authority (Ashghal) in this regard. He said his company had been strictly following this law but some companies were either unaware of it or deliberately violating it.
Dela Rosa stressed that construction workers, especially those engaged in outdoor activities, should be protected from the scorching sun.
“I would say that some small companies are still allowing their workers to work between these hours and that is lamentable,” he said.
A visit to various construction sites in Doha yesterday found only some heavy equipment operators working.
Arnel Punsalan, president of the Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers (PICE) Qatar chapter, said his company was protecting its construction workers from the summer onslaught.
“Yes that is true, there are few small companies who take the risk and do not follow this ban,” he added. But he believes that more than 90% of the construction companies in Qatar comply with the law.
It is learnt that the Ministry of Labour enforces the law strictly and suspends the working permit of the companies found violating the rule.
A worker from an Abu Dhabi-based construction firm told Gulf Times that since June 15 they started reporting to work as early as 6am. Then they stop work before 11am to rest until 3pm.
“I think the ban is well implemented since you won’t see a single person in the field, working,” he said.
In a forum held recently, many of the discussions focused on the rights and safety of the workers including the strict implementation of the mid-day ban.
Follow us on our social media channels: