Sign in Register
Posted On: 30 June 2013 11:26 am
Updated On: 12 November 2020 02:13 pm

Pioneering research to save billions for Qatar

aanikhathon2012
Discuss here!
Start a discussion
Pioneering-research-to-save-billions-for-Qatar
A Teesside University Professor has been awarded a grant of nearly $900,000 to lead pioneering research which could save the Qatari economy billions of dollars in unnecessary building costs. Professor Nashwan Dawood (Lead Principle Investigator) and Dr Mohamad Kassem (co-investigator) have been given the grant from Qatar Foundation under the Qatar National Research Fund, to fund research work into Building Information Modelling (BIM) and how it can be used to improve construction processes in the country. The BIM approach has a range of implications and Professor Dawood’s team has collaborated on projects all over the world to rehearse builds on major projects including bridges and gas rigs. By analysing where problems and delays may occur before construction has even started, Professor Dawood said BIM can cut the cost of building projects by up to 10 percent. Professor Dawood’s Centre for Construction Research and Innovation at Teesside University is leading the field in BIM which uses a whole life cycle approach to information flow integrated to 3D visualisation to track the cost, time, use of materials and execution space utilisation of building projects. This could potentially save billions of dollars in Qatar which is predicted to spend $100bn on construction over the next 10 years, including on stadia for the 2022 Football World Cup. The research grant has been awarded to Professor Dawood’s team as part of the Qatar National Priorities Research Program which is the flagship funding programme of the National Research Fund. Professor Dawood said: “We’re very privileged to be part of this particular programme. There is a lot of international competition for grants for research in this particular area. Qatar only works with elite institutions and this proves that the work that we are doing is internationally recognised. We’ve got some major partners signed up to collaborate with us on this. There was a lot of praise for our capabilities in delivering this project and the fact that we would be able to manage it and the support we would get for it.” The research will be a partnership between Teesside University and Qatar University with 60 percent of the funding being spent in the Gulf state and the remaining 40 percent being spent in Middlesbrough The money will be used to employ several researchers and is expected to last three years. Source : Qatar Chronicle