Sign in Register
Posted On: 20 July 2009 11:31 am
Updated On: 12 November 2020 02:09 pm

NHRC can intervene in case schools deny admission to children

Paper Boy
Paper Boy
Discuss here!
Start a discussion
If a parent or guardian has difficulty in getting an offspring or ward admitted to a school for some reason, he or she can approach the National Human Rights Committee (NHRC) for help. At least 11 people facing difficulties in getting their children admitted to schools last year did contact the NHRC for assistance but it is not known how many of them succeeded in their bid. The Committee last year heard 51 complaints about deportation and its help was sought to stop it. And six people facing trial in different courts wanted defence lawyers to be provided to them by the state. But the largest number of requests the NHRC received last year was about sponsorship change. Some 263 foreign workers urged the NHRC to help provide them sponsorship change so they could work elsewhere. Some 79 workers wanted to recover salary arrears and other dues from their employers and so they approached the rights panel. Two persons (citizens) wanted the NHRC to help them get permission from the government so they could marry foreigners, while three people requested it to intervene on their behalf and allow them to come back to Qatar. There were 21 workers who were not being issued exit permit by their sponsors. The NHRC, which reports directly to the Cabinet, heard their complaints and forwarded them to the authorities concerned.