Find out all the latest updates with regards to the GCC Crisis here every Thursday.
Here's what happened two weeks ago (there was no update for the GCC crisis last week): GCC Crisis Updates Week 176.
His Excellency Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kuwait for Americas Affairs Hamad Al Mashaan confirmed that the fourth round of the strategic dialogue between Kuwait and the United States of America, which started today, discussed the efforts of the State of Kuwait to mend the Gulf rift and maintain security and stability in the region, as per QNA.
The efforts of Kuwait to mend the Gulf rift and maintain the security and stability of the region were discussed, in addition to discussing the role and contributions of the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development globally, Al Mashaan said in a statement reported by Kuwait's KUNA.
The fourth round of the joint strategic dialogue sheds light on the US' support for the continuing efforts of the State of Kuwait to resolve the Gulf dispute, and also deals with aspects of cooperation to enable Iraq to become more stable and prosperous, as well as the situation in Lebanon and Syria, the US Ambassador to the State of Kuwait Alina Romanowski said.
The fourth round of the strategic dialogue between the State of Kuwait and the United States of America started on Monday via videoconferencing and continues until November 24.
A report published on the French "Media Part" website has confirmed that the desire of the blockading countries (Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain and Egypt to weaken Qatar has faded, leaving behind a number of cases in international courts such as the International Court of Justice, according to the Al Sharq newspaper.
According to report on the French website, the blockade was a political and diplomatic mistake; it indicated that the blockading countries tried repeatedly to persuade the previous American administration to adopt a political line against Qatar and accept a military invasion of Qatar. Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and Anwar Gargash, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, had believed during the 2016 United States presidential campaign that they could weaken Qatar and now, three years later, this plan has failed.
Mohammed bin Zayed negotiated with two US businessman George Nader and Elliot Broidy. Together, they planned to invade Qatar, because Nader, who spent several years in the Emirates, had a very strong relationship with Bin Zayed, and, in return, the latter had to invest a billion dollars in the US. Broidy was in a unique position to convince the previous administration, having been the chief financial officer of the Republican National Committee since 2005. In that capacity, and despite the fact that he had already been convicted on several counts of fraud and committed illegal dealings with the New York Pension Fund and some Israeli business partners, US President Trump knew very well that he had publicly boasted of his ability to force difficult decisions.
The report also stated that the blockading countries were willing to go to any length to harm Qatar. It also stated that the unjust blockade was not limited to closing the airspace, but rather banned broadcasting Al-Jazeera in the blockading countries, to prevent their citizens from seeing the Qatari point of view. In fact, Bahrain issued a law stipulating imprisonment for those who publicly express their sympathy with Qatar.
A case that features the animation of a Qatar Airways aircraft being damaged will now be heard in the UK after an application to contest the jurisdiction of the English court to hear the claims has been dismissed, as posted on the Qatar Airways website.
Qatar Airways brought claims forward in the English High Court against the Al Arabiya news channel regarding a video simulation that was posted in August 2017, two months after the blockade against Qatar was imposed by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt, which purported to explain the effect the blockade had on Qatar and its national airline. In the video, a Qatar Airways airplane was shown being intercepted and then shot down by a fighter jet, with the blockade as a context. This caused media outrage, and Qatar Airways claimed the video was fake and also misleading, and was released to deter people from using the airline.
According to a 130-page judgment of the English High Court that was published on 6 November 2020, the court dismissed Al Arabiya's application to contest the jurisdiction of the English court to hear the claims. The judgment came after extensive evidence was presented and a 3-day court hearing took place.
What are your thoughts on these latest developments in the ongoing GCC Crisis? Drop us a line and tell us your thoughts in the comments below, and don’t forget to like and share this article.
There are multiple advertising possibilities with the ILQ network, drop us an e-mail at [email protected] for inquiries!
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
Salam! Welcome to our brand new site! Looking good huh?
We’ve got loads of cool new features and to help make sure your account is secure, you’ll need to reset your password the first time you log in.
New to ILQ? What are you waiting for? Sign up!
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!