Doha Film Institute (DFI) today announced the formation of its Executive Board of Trustees, with five new members representing key ministries and authorities, national and international media organisations.
Her Excellency Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Founder and Chairperson of the Doha Film Institute, continues to chair the board. Continuing members include Mansoor Ebrahim Al-Mahmoud, CEO of Qatar Museums & special Advisor to H.E. the Chairperson and H.E. Issa bin Mohammed Al Mohannadi, Chairman of the Qatar Racing and Equestrian Club Board of Directors.
The new trustees are: H.E. Sheikh Thani bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, an avid film enthusiast and member of the Royal family; H.E. Saleh bin Ghanem bin Nasser al-Ali Maadheed, Qatar’s Minister of Culture and Sports; H.E. Nasser bin Ghanem Al-Khelaifi, Chairman of Qatar Sports Investments and CEO of the beIN Media Group, H.E. Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Hamad bin Jassim bin Hamad Al-Thani, Chief Executive Officer of the Qatar Media Corporation; and H.E. Sheikh Saif bin Ahmed bin Saif Al-Thani, Director of the Government Communication Office and Acting Director of the Prime Minister’s Office.
Drawing on their wealth of experience and expertise from working with diverse national and international organisations, the members will work with the DFI team to build a strong cultural showcase that strengthens Qatar’s position as a leading producer of creative and compelling content from the Arab region.
H.E. Sheikha Al Mayassa said: “The Board of Trustees of the Doha Film Institute will steer the organisation to a new era of growth that will focus not only on driving a vibrant Qatari film industry, but also on fostering the next generation of talents who are creating compelling content in the Middle East. While the Doha Film Institute has come a long way in accomplishing our founding goals, it is important that we regularly revisit our strategic priorities and redefine our strategies to reflect the aspirations of the youth.
“We are a young film organisation with a global vision and ambitions, and this new board will formulate innovative and creative approaches to meeting the mandate of the Institute. The members will also focus on making films and culture a meaningful part of the Qatari community by celebrating our rich heritage and values.”
New Trustee Profiles:
- H.E. Sheikh Thani bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani: With his passion and keen interest in cinema, H.E. Sheikh Thani bin Hamad brings youthful thinking, perspective and energy to the Board of Trustees of Doha Film Institute. He will play a central role in defining youth-oriented strategies to build a talent pool of young Qatari film professionals and create world-class content in Qatar. An advocate of exporting narratives from the East to the West, H.E. Sheikh Thani bin Hamad believes in the power of cinema to convey a strong message, bring about positive social change, and reach a mass audience.
- H.E. Saleh bin Ghanem bin Nasser al-Ali Maadheed: Qatar’s Minister of Culture and Sports, H.E. leads the development of the nation’s cultural and sports sectors with a focus on nurturing the next generation of talent. Previously, he was the nation’s Minister of Youth and Sports, playing a key role in developing youth talent through diverse initiatives.
- H.E. Nasser bin Ghanem Al-Khelaifi: A former Davis Cup player and member of the Qatar National Tennis team, Nasser Al-Khelaifi is the Chairman of Qatar Sports Investments (QSi), a fund dedicated to investments in the sport and leisure industry on a national and international level. Al-Khelaifi is also Chairman of the Board and CEO of the Paris Saint-Germain Football Club; CEO of the beIN Media Group, President of the Qatar Tennis Federation, Chairman of the Asian Tennis Federation, a member of the board of the Qatar Investment Authority and Chairman of the Board of MIRAMAX.
- H.E. Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Hamad bin Jassim bin Hamad Al-Thani: H.E. is CEO of the Qatar Media Corporation, the apex media entity entrusted with implementing a clear framework for the industry’s growth, and also a Board Member of Al Jazeera Network. H.E. plays a key role in shaping the media and cultural landscape of Qatar, and has made significant contributions to establishing the nation as one of the leaders in the media industry through visionary and transformational initiatives. Previously, H.E. served as Director Manager in charge of the Media Development Department at Qatar Media Corporation, Media Expert at the Office of His Highness the Heir Apparent, and Member of the Committee and Director of the Board of Cultural Events at the Doha Cultural Media Committee.
- H.E. Sheikh Saif bin Ahmed bin Saif Al-Thani: Director of the Government Communication Office and Acting Director of the Prime Minister’s Office, Sheikh Saif held the post of Senior International Relations Officer with the Prime Minister’s Office before assuming his current position as Director of the Government Communication Office and Acting Director of the Prime Minister’s Office. He began his career with the Government of Qatar as a Senior International Relations Officer with the Ministry of Interior.
Other Trustee Profiles:
- Mansour Ibrahim Al-Mahmoud: A senior executive engaged in cultivating Qatar’s evolving public sphere, Mansour Al-Mahmoud holds the mandate for developing Qatar Museums Authority into a leading global cultural organisation, as its CEO and advisor to Sheikha Al Mayassa. He was previously the Office Director of the Prime Minister of the State of Qatar’s Office at the Qatar Investment Authority, where he helped elevate the nation’s international investment relations. Al-Mahmoud has also served on the boards of Qatari Diar, Qatar National Bank and the Hassad Food Company.
- H.E. Issa bin Mohammed Al Mohannadi: the former Chairman of Qatar Tourism Authority (QTA), H.E. project management and international business background served QTA well as it embarked on rolling out the new Tourism Sector Strategy for Qatar. He was the founding CEO of Msheireb Properties, a subsidiary of the Qatar Foundation, promoting sustainability in architecture and heritage preservation in Qatar. He is the founder and chairperson of the Qatar Green Building Council and has held senior management positions at RasGas. H.E. is Chairman of the Qatar Racing and Equestrian Club Board of Directors and a board member of Qatar Airways, Qatari Diar and Barwa Real Estate.
Follow us on our social media channels: