It has been announced in a tweet by Qatar's Government Communications Office (GCO) on April 19, 2022 that H.H. The Amir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani issued Law No. 1 of 2022 issuing the Social Insurance Law, and Law No. 2 of 2022 on military retirement.
These laws are to ensure a decent life for retirees and their families.
The following have been included as key features of the Social Insurance and Military Pension Laws to be applied:
- The minimum pension shall be no less than QR 15,000.
- A housing allowance of no more than QR 6,000 shall be added to the pension
- Bonuses shall be awarded to pensioners who reach retirement age with a contribution period in excess of 30 years.
- A female employee who resigns to care for her special needs children may keep her pension with no reductions provided she has an active service period of 20 years. (The Public Treasury w bear the cost of the nominal service period completing the 25-year requirement)
- Regular increases may be added to pensions, and advances may be offered to pensioners. (In accordance with the measures and regulations set out in the aforementioned laws).
- The pension shall be added to the salary in the event that the pensioner returns to work in the private sector, provided they make no further contributions
- All amounts owed to the fund are subject to reduction and payment via facilitated installments
- The laws regulate the transfer of the right to pension payments to beneficiaries in case of death of the insured person or pensioner
- Beneficiaries include: Non-Qatari children of Qatari pensioners, Non-Qatari widows, Non-Qatari parents, and Non-Qatari siblings
- The widow's share of the pension shall increase to 100% in case there are no other beneficiaries
- Insured individuals who do not meet pension eligibility requirements may compensate single installments, and contributions will be refunded to those whose contribution period is less than one year.
Key features in the Social Insurance Draft Law:
- The provisions of the Social Insurance Law shall apply to all citizens in the in public and private sector.
- The provisions of the Social Insurance Law shall be optional for Qatari nationals under the income bracket system.(Promulgated by a government decree)
- The average pensions of insured private sector employees shall be calculated based on the average salary over the last three years of employment instead of the last five.
Key features in the Military Retirement Draft Law:
- A specialty allowance of no more than QR 5,000 and a housing allowance shall be added to the contributory account.
- Military Personnel whose service ended before the entry into force of Law No. 13 of 2006 On Retirement and Pensions of Military Personnel shall be allowed to contribute for their previous period of service in order to receive a pension in accordance with specific conditions and regulations.
- National service recruits who do not hold civilian jobs shall receive insurance protection in the event of death, disability or other cases as stipulated by law while performing national service.
- Contributions for additional service periods for categories exposed to high and medium risks on the job shall be borne by the employer.
Source: Government Communications Office
Cover image credit: Shutterstock
Follow us on our social media channels: