Qatar’s government pension system is administrated by the General Retirement and Social Insurance Authority (GRSIA) and supervised by the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labor and Social Affairs.
The GRSIA is responsible for providing social protection to retired Qatari nationals and their family members in case of their demise through the allocation of pensions in accordance with the provisions of the Retirement and Pension Law No. 24 of 2002. It achieves this goal through collecting pension contributions and managing and investing public funds.
Qatari citizens, men and women, employed by the government, and who have made a total of 15 years worth of contributions, receive a state pension when they reach 60 or 55, respectively. An option for early retirement at 40 is available, however 15 years of contributions are still required.
The size of the pension is based on the final salary of the employee at the time of retirement (the salary in the last year of employment). Additional social allowance benefits are designated according to an individual’s final salary and time of service.
The pension scheme is open to Qatari employees in ministries, public institutions, agencies, joint stock companies and others as determined by the Council of Ministers at the GRSIA. Pensions are also issued to civilian and military retirees, or to their eligible beneficiaries in the event of death.
Qataris who work in other countries within the GCC and who are eligible for a government pension are included under Law No.7 of 2007.
Qataris who work in the private sector are not eligible under the government scheme. It is the responsibility of the individual to negotiate a pension arrangement with their employer, or to join the company’s pension scheme.
The employee must pay in a monthly contribution equivalent to 5% of salary, the employer tops the contribution up by a further 10% (gross salary), and the government also contributes, covers administration and makes up any shortfalls to ensure the total contribution of 15%.
Contributions by Qatari employees in other GCC countries may be higher, ranging from 5.5%-8% of salary, in order to make up the required 15% total pension contribution. In some instances the government will make up the shortfall. Further details can be found on the website of the General Retirement and Social Insurance Authority.
Expatriates are not eligible for pensions from the Qatari government and are expected to manage their own affairs.
While the retirement age for nationals in public sector jobs is 60, there is no retirement age limit for private sector employees. However, written requests must be made to renew visas and sponsorship change is not allowed for expatriate employees over 60.
There are multiple advertising possibilities with the ILQ network, drop us an e-mail at [email protected] for inquiries!
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at cont[email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
Salam! Welcome to our brand new site! Looking good huh?
We’ve got loads of cool new features and to help make sure your account is secure, you’ll need to reset your password the first time you log in.
New to ILQ? What are you waiting for? Sign up!
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!