From an oil-based economy, Qatar has vastly diversified and expanded its field into the trade, services and finance sectors. With many friendly policies put in place by the Qatari government, the country offers lucrative business opportunities to the enterprise of all sizes. And when it comes to progressing the businesses, employers need people who reflect their vision. There’s nothing more imperative to the success of an organization than hiring the right people as the right employee pays you back by bringing productivity, efficiency profits and overall a positive impact on your total work environment. On the other hand, we all know that one bad apple can spoil the bunch, similarly, a single bad hire could potentially ruin the productivity, and ultimately, impact the bottom line of a successful business.
However, there are certain things to consider that can help you to arm yourself with the right employees when hiring.
The resumes provide you an idea about the candidates even before you meet them. However, it's quite tricky to find out the real gems out of the hundreds of applicants. When each position gets more than 100 applicants, you can merely afford to spend a few seconds on each resume. Therefore, you need to simply skim through every resume to shortlist the best candidates. Review the candidate’s educational history, experiences to make sure it matches your requirements and take notes as you go through applications.
The conversation is your chance to connect with the candidate on a more personal level to figure out whether the person is a perfect fit for the position. You can bring out that secret only if you know the right equations to ask. Not only you need to get details about the candidate’s core competencies, but it’s also important to have insight into that person’s personality.
We often ignore this important part but background checking is one of the most important steps when hiring an employee. Even though you are initially impressed by the personality as well as by the resume of your candidate, however, you never know if all the presented skills and experiences are actually possessed by the candidate.
Knowing the candidate’s background is an important way to verify their information or ask about gaps in their resume. Screen all applicants against this list of qualifications, skills, experience, and characteristics. Call past employers and find out why they let the applicant go.
So make sure to keep some time in your hands to do background checks that must include work references (especially former supervisors) as well as educational credentials.
Make sure you call the references on the application. Although many applicants put these numbers just as a show-off, however, you can acquire important information about prospective employees just by having a coversation with the people in references. If they can't even remember the applicant, that tells you a lot. If they give a glowing report, that's even more.
Each organization has its own culture that refers to the company's personality. For instance, some companies have a culture of working late to ensure everything gets done on time whereas other companies have a culture of leaving at 5 p.m. Moreover, some companies need their employees to do teamwork and socializing with coworkers and at other companies, employees mostly work individually. In a nutshell, you need to evaluate which candidate will add overall strategic and personal value to your company.
During background screening, make sure you are aware of the health conditions of the candidate that might affect an employee’s ability to work or lead to changes and adaptations being required.
Usually, the Medical Commission conducts medical examinations that include blood tests and chest X-rays with regards to screen HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B, and C and Tuberculosis. Also, note that a valid International Vaccination Certificate with proof of Polio vaccination is required from all travelers arriving from Polio-exporting countries.
However, job seekers from some countries (like Bangladesh, EgyptEthiopia, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan) are required to complete the medical check-up at home through one of the approved clinics abroad before coming to Qatar.
So you have completed all the recruitment processes, now it's time to inform your employees about certain laws.
1. Information disclose: As per Article 332 of the penal laws, any person knowingly and illegally disclose a secret entrusted thereto in his official capacity, business, profession in conditions other than those prescribed by the law or uses it for his personal benefit or for the benefit of another person, without the consent of the concerned person with the secret, shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years in prison or a fine of no more QR10,000 or both.
2. Rules on drugs, alcohol: Qatar law also prohibits the importation, sale, and purchase of drugs, alcohol, electronic cigarettes, liquids, and other similar products. The law applies regardless of quantity and intended use. Penalties for possession, use, and trafficking in illegal drugs, are severe in Qatar, and often resulting in prison sentences and pay heavy penalties. Click here to know more about the Tobacco Laws in Qatar.
3. Illegal material: Importing pornography, pork products, and religious books and material into Qatar is illegal.
4. Local culture: Be aware of cultural sensitivities when filming or photographing people and religious, military or construction sites. Attempting to film or photograph in sensitive areas might result in prison sentences.
5. Prohibited actions: Activities such as participation in foul speeches and insults may often lead to prosecution, overnight detention and/or fines. Insulting somebody in public is also considered a punishable offense.
6. Qatar Identity Card: All permanent residents in Qatar should carry an Identity Card with them according to Qatari law.
Did you find the article helpful? Do let us know in the comments section below and don’t forget to give us a like and a share! Good luck with finding the right employee for your company.
There are multiple advertising possibilities with the ILQ network, drop us an e-mail at [email protected] for inquiries!
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
Salam! Welcome to our brand new site! Looking good huh?
We’ve got loads of cool new features and to help make sure your account is secure, you’ll need to reset your password the first time you log in.
New to ILQ? What are you waiting for? Sign up!
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!