Sign in Register
Posted On: 2 June 2020 08:50 pm
Updated On: 12 November 2020 10:18 am

How to report and redeem abandoned vehicles in Qatar

Khadiza Begum
Khadiza Begum
Content Writer
Discuss here!
Start a discussion

Wondering what to do about that abandoned vehicles that have been parked on the street or parking space for long periods of time? Abandoned vehicles not only distort the general appearance of the city but also they can take up valuable parking spaces in residential areas. Scroll all the way down to know how to get rid of an abandoned vehicle and how to claim your vehicle that has been taken to the junk unit!

How to report abandoned vehicles

If you see an abandoned vehicle, you can notify the authorities by following these simple steps.

Procedure 1: Fill out the online application, and make sure the information is correct.
Select the municipality and enter the electricity number, zone, street and building number.

  • Enter the vehicle number.
  • Click “Start Workflow” to submit your request.

Procedure 2: Abandoned vehicles may also be reported by sending a photo of the vehicle and its location via the Whatsapp hotline at 33238885.

How to redeem abandoned vehicles

    You can request to redeem the abandoned vehicle that has been taken to the junk unit. You have to visit the Transportation Section Offices of the Mechanical Equipment Department along with the following documents:

    • ID card of the vehicle owner.
    • Vehicle registration documents (vehicle license or certificate from the Traffic Department)
    • Official authorization letter from vehicle owner (in case of representatives or companies’ vehicles).
    • ID card of the person receiving the vehicle (in case of representatives or companies’ vehicles).
    • Copy of establishment ID (in case of a company-owned vehicle).
    • Pay appropriate fees.
    • Sign Vehicle Receiving Acknowledgement.

    Having completed the necessary procedures and paid the stipulated fine of QR1,000 to the municipality, you have to pay towing fees which QR500 for light vehicles, QR800 for heavy vehicles, and QR2,000 for equipment. The Ministry of Municipality and Environment clarifies on its website the process plan of the service in detail and in the form of a work plan. You can also verify a vehicle’s location by calling the Transportation Section. This service requires two days to be completed.

      What happens to abandoned cars?

      If the owner of any such vehicle does not claim it within six months of the vehicle being impounded, the concerned authorities will take necessary procedures to cancel the vehicle in co-operation with the Traffic Department. And eventually, such unclaimed vehicles would be offered in a public auction to be recycled by a company specializing in the field.