To round off 2013 as the Qatar UK Year of Culture, the Ministry of Culture and the Doha International Book Fair have invited the UK to be their Guest of Honour at this year’s fair. The British Council, UK Trade & Investment and The Publishers Association are working together to organise an extensive programme of events; advising on a Ministry of Culture sponsored trade delegation and co-ordinating arrangements for an exhibition of British books.
The value of UK book exports to Qatar in 2012 was £4.67 m (QR27.46 m), an increase of 20.9% on 2011.
The UK delegation at the Doha International Book Fair will be represented by:
- Sophie Buchan, Commissioning Editor, Orion Books
- Lynn Gaspard, Publisher, Saqi Books
- Emma House, Director of Publisher Relations, UK Publishers Association
- Judy Pearsall, Editorial Director, Oxford University Press
- Rona Selby, Editorial Director, Andersen Press (Random House imprint)
- Kelly Signorelli-Chaplin, Head of Communications, UK Publishers Association
- Roger Tagholm, Journalist
The 200 sqm UK stand is being designed with four areas and one of these is for the ‘British Culture & Education’ exhibition.
The Publishers Association – the leading trade organisation serving book, journal, audio and electronic publishers in the UK – is offering members exhibition space free of charge, but each participating company will be required to contribute £850 (QR5,000) towards the production and printing of an exhibition catalogue listing the titles bibliographic information, and the cost of shipping up to 50 kgs of books for each company from the UK to Doha. After the fair, the books will be donated to the National Library.
Photo was taken last year at the Doha International Book Fair
Follow us on our social media channels: