By Kim Wyatt
So you think you know how to eat sushi?
Looks can be deceiving – especially when it comes to sushi. To us mere mortals, those bite-sized pieces of rice and fish may look simple and uncomplicated, yet sushi is an art-form and requires years of training and skill to make the perfect bite. Sushi must be treated with respect, plus a good dose of practicality…and who better to give us a lesson in the art of eating sushi then the master himself – world-famous celeb Chef Nobu Matsuhisa!
In this episode I visited Chef Nobu at his Doha outpost, and was lucky enough to be given a lesson in the fine-art of sushi. It seems that I’ve been eating these delicious mouthfuls of fresh fish and rice the wrong way! Sushi has a few golden rules that makes eating it more practical and tasty.
Here are a few quick tips:
1. Pick up your sushi and turn it onto its side. Dip the fish side of the sushi into the soya. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT dip the rice into the soya. Why? The rice will soak up too much soya and overpower the subtle flavour of the fish. Your sushi chef has worked hard to balance the delicate nuances of your sushi, so why ruin it with a mouthful of soya sauce? Makes sense right? Plus, the rice will fall apart.
2. Be sure to place the fish onto your tongue first to get the full flavour.
3. Don’t mix wasabi with soya sauce. Ever.
4. Eat the sushi in one bite. No nibbles, no little bites, and please don’t bite it in half! Sushi is small and compact because it’s meant to be eaten in one bite – know what I mean?
5. One last thing – do not eat the pink, pickled ginger slices with a mouthful of sushi. It’s meant to be a palate-cleanser so should only be eaten between sushi pieces.
I hope these tips make your sushi experience more delicious. Be sure to watch the video below and let us know in the comments below if you have any sushi tips to share! Also, don’t forget to give us a like and a share – it keeps us going!
There are multiple advertising possibilities with the ILQ network, drop us an e-mail at [email protected] for inquiries!
If you have anything you want to share with us, send us an e-mail at [email protected]!
Want to send a tip? Drop us an e-mail at [email protected], anonymity is guaranteed!
You have successfully registered your account!Please confirm your e-mail address by clicking on the URL sent to you.The e-mail usually arrives in 5-10 minutes.
Salam! Welcome to our brand new site! Looking good huh?
We’ve got loads of cool new features and to help make sure your account is secure, you’ll need to reset your password the first time you log in.
New to ILQ? What are you waiting for? Sign up!
How ajeeb was that!? Thanks for contributing to our community! Your post will appear after we take a quick look!