The Ministry of Public Health has announced updates to the COVID-19 travel policy for the State of Qatar. The updates have been made based on the latest indicators of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the State of Qatar and the world.
These changes will take effect from Sunday, 4 September 2022 starting at 6 pm at the time of arrival in the State of Qatar.
The Ministry's aim with these changes is to facilitate the process of travel and return to the State of Qatar while fully adhering to all means that will prevent and protect the community from the threat of COVID-19.
The Ministry of Public Health stated that the travel and return policy is part of the country's strategy to combat COVID-19 and the strict application of the policy has proven to be a very important role in keeping COVID-19 infection rates low in the State of Qatar over the past years.
Below is a summary of some of the changes that will be implemented and will take effect from Sunday, September 4, 2022:
- The removal of the list of Countries Subject to COVID-19 Red Health Measures.
- The removal of quarantine requirements for all travelers arriving from abroad, with the exception of travelers who test positive for COVID-19 who are required to undergo isolation and quarantine in accordance with the procedures followed in the State of Qatar.
- Regardless of the individual’s vaccination status, the following pre-arrival and post-arrival COVID-19 testing measures are required for travelers coming to Qatar:
- Citizens and Residents: Must undergo a rapid antigen test (RAT) within a period of 24 hours upon arrival in the State of Qatar at a Primary Health Care Corporation health center or a Ministry of Public Health approved private medical center.
- Visitors: Must bring a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test certificate with a negative result received within 48 hours from the scheduled flight to the State of Qatar or a rapid antigen test (RAT) with a negative result received within 24 hours, from the scheduled flight to the State of Qatar
According to the Ministry of Public Health's travel and return policy guidelines, here are the updates will come into effect on Sunday, 4 September at 6 PM Qatar time:
Citizens and residents are advised to exercise caution when traveling to international destinations taking into account their vaccination status and the extent to which COVID-19 is spreading in the country of arrival.
- It is the responsibility of travelers to know about any changes to the travel and return policy through official sources and websites before planning to travel to the State of Qatar.
- Travelers must adhere to the measures in place in the State of Qatar to limit the spread of COVID-19 at all times.
- COVID-19 Country Red Risk Classification is no longer applicable.
- Quarantine is no longer mandatory for all travelers arriving from abroad, however, travelers who test positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Qatar must undergo quarantine measures in accordance with the procedures followed in the State of Qatar.
- Citizens and residents of the State of Qatar must take a Rapid Antigen (RAT) test within a period of 24 hours upon arrival in the State of Qatar at one of the Primary Health Care Centers or private medical centers, noting that the health status in the Ehteraz application will be updated to become gray in case of non-compliance with the test procedure.
- Visitors must bring a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test certificate with a negative result valid for 48 hours or a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) certificate valid for 24 hours, from the scheduled flight to the State of Qatar. Note that Rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes.
- GCC nationals and residents must download the Ehteraz mobile app and activate it on their mobile phones using a local or international SIM card, noting that they are excluded from the pre-entry online registration.
- All other categories not belonging to (section 7) above are also obligated to download the Ehteraz mobile app and activate it on their mobile phones using a local or international SIM card; And to register in the pre-entry online registration system through the website (www.ehteraz.gov.qa) within at least three (3) days before arrival. All relevant documents to be uploaded in accordance with the following:
- Polymerase Chain Reaction test (PCR)
- Rapid antigen (RAT) test
- Serology Antibody Test for those vaccinated with conditional vaccines
|Travelers have the option to either upload the pre-entry COVID-19 test or show the original |
- Certificate/s of vaccination or certificate/s of recovery
|Uploading these documents during the electronic registration phase is optional.|
Immune-Vaccinated: Anyone who received any of the following COVID-19 vaccine approved/recognized by the Ministry of Public Health within its immunity validity period:
- Valid for nine (9) months from fourteen (14) days after 2nd dose vaccination of Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zenica COVID-19 vaccines.
- Valid for twelve (12) months after the booster dose vaccination of Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zenica COVID-19 vaccines.
- Valid for nine (9) months from (14) days after the 1st dose of Jansen & Jansen COVID-19 vaccine.
- Valid for twelve (12) months from seven (7) days of receiving the booster dose of Jansen & Jansen COVID-19 vaccine.
- Valid for six (6) months from fourteen (14) days after the 2nd dose or booster dose of conditionally approved COVID-19 vaccines, where a positive Serology on Antibody Test lab result is required and is valid for 30 days from testing; Those who received booster dose using MOPH approved vaccines immune status is extended to twelve (12) months from fourteen (14) days after the booster dose and Serology Antibody test is no longer required.
Immune-Recovered: Anyone who had a medically confirmed COVID-19 infection acquired either locally or overseas is considered to have immune status valid for twelve (12) months from the date of the infection. There should be an official and verifiable laboratory test result as evidence of the past infection.
Non-immune/Unvaccinated: Anyone who does not meet any of the above criteria.
List of Approved and Conditionally Approved Vaccines by the Ministry of Public Health:
|Approved Vaccines||Conditionally Approved vaccines*|
- Pfizer / BioNTech (Comirnaty)
- AstraZeneca (Covishield / Oxford / Vaxzevria)
- Jansen / Johnson & Johnson (only one dose)
Travelers fully immunized outside the country with one of the vaccines licensed by the Ministry of Public Health of the State of Qatar must submit an original vaccine certificate and other supporting documents written in Arabic or English proving that they have received the vaccine, and the following information must be provided in the vaccine certificates:
- The name of the traveler must be identical to the passport.
- Dosing dates by type of vaccine (one dose Janssen vaccine and two doses for other vaccines).
- Type/name of the vaccine.
- Vaccine batch serial number and QR Code (if applicable).
Ehteraz Mobile Application Policy:
- Travelers arriving in Qatar must download on their mobile phone devices and activate the Ehteraz app upon arrival at Qatar’s entry ports. To do so, the traveler must have the following:
- SIM card from one of Qatar's service providers (Ooredoo or Vodafone) or an international SIM card.
- Mobile internet connection.
- The smartphone should support Android 6, newer versions or IOS 13.5 and later versions.
- Download and install the app on the mobile phone either via Google Play, Apple App Store or from any online search engine.
- SIM cards and smartphones are available for purchase at Hamad International Airport and Abu Samra border crossing if the passenger does not own them before arrival.
- The Ehteraz mobile application with health status indicated as Green is required to gain access to public facilities around Qatar.
- The Heath Status on the Ehteraz mobile app for fully vaccinated persons in Qatar will be in green with a golden frame.
- The Health Status for citizens, residents, visitors who have received the vaccine outside Qatar will remain green without a golden frame until their vaccine data is updated in the system or through the Overseas Vaccine Portal (https://www.ehteraz.gov.qa/PER/?language=en).
- The Health Status on the Ehteraz app will remain red throughout the isolation period, until the result of their COVID-19 test comes out negative.
- Diplomats, administrative card holders and VIP visitors arriving on official state visits are excluded from this measure.
COVID-19 tests cost:
|Type of Test||Cost Per Test|
|PCR Test||QR 160|
|Rapid Antigen||QR 50|
|Serology Antibody test (point of care)||QR 50|
Source: Ministry of Public Health
Cover Image credit: Shutterstock
Follow us on our social media channels: