What you should know about the Qatar crisis since "demand list"

Rumana Shaikh's picture
Rumana Shaikh

Today marks ten days since the Saudi-led bloc issued a list of 13 demands to Qatar. Qatar was given until today to respond to the demands, but has been given 48 more hours. Below are some more highlights of what has happened since the demands were issued.

June 25:

The President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani reportedly told the Emir of Qatar that the siege of Qatar “is not acceptable to us.”

US Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson said that some of the demands made of Qatar are very difficult to meet and encouraged conversation between the countries.

The Turkish President said that the ultimatum given to Qatar by neighboring Gulf countries goes against international law.

June 26: 

Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif called on Europe to use its influence and help reduce tensions in the Gulf.

US Senator and chairman of the Senate foreign relations committee, Bob Corker said he will withhold consent for arms sales to Gulf states until a path to resolution of the crisis is found.

June 27:

4 days after releasing the list of demands, Saudi Foreign Minister, Adel Al-Jubeir said that the demands made of Qatar are non-negotiable and that Qatar needs to “end its support for extremism and terrorism.”

Al Jazeera released an open letter in response to their closure being one of the 13 demands issued to Qatar as a price for lifting the blockade. In the letter, Al Jazeera established its position as giving a voice to the voiceless, having a large following, providing balanced reports and providing reliable journalism in all the years that it has existed.

June 28:

Asian migrant workers are reported to have been stranded without shelter and money after their Qatari bosses were expelled from the country.

June 29: 

The Prime Minister of the UAE addressed Qatar in a poem that he shared on Instagram and said that “Qatar needs to get united and return to the GCC fold.”

June 30:

The defence minister of Qatar, Khalid Al-Attiyah said that the blockade from neighboring Gulf states is a “bloodless declaration of war.”

The UN said that the demand to close Al Jazeera is unacceptable and is an attack on the right to freedoms of expression and opinion.

July 1:

The managing director of Al Jazeera said that Al Jazeera will not shut down, as demanded by the Saudi-led bloc.

While talking to reporters in Rome earlier this week, the Foreign Minister of Qatar said that the demands made by neighboring countries were “made to be rejected and not negotiated,” and that Qatar is open to discussions but will not let its sovereignty be undermined. Earlier, he had said that the demands were not backed by any proof.

July 2:

The defence minister of Qatar said that Qatar is ready to defend itself, should there be an intervention. 

July 3: 

Reportedly, the Foreign Minister of Qatar, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman Al Thani is in Kuwait to deliver Qatar’s response to the demands. Foreign ministers from the bloc are supposedly going to be holding a discussion regarding Qatar’s response, in Cairo on Wednesday.