Latest: All that has happened since Qatar's response to demand list

paperboy's picture
paperboy

Qatar responded to the demands made by the Saudi-led bloc last week. Here's how the crisis has progressed what since then. 

July 5

Saudi led-bloc confirmed receiving Qatar’s response and said they will reply in due time. The Foreign Minister of Qatar then urged for further dialogue to solve the crisis and also said that Qatar will do “whatever it takes to protect its people.” 

The neighboring countries behind the blockade said that they will continue the blockade after Qatar’s “negative” response to their list of demands. 

Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan reaffirmed his support for Qatar and said that the list of demands “is not acceptable under any circumstances.”

July 6

The Foreign Minister of Germany said that his country’s intelligence service will make efforts to clear up the accusations of supporting terrorism made on Qatar. 

Chief executives from Exxon Mobil, Royal Dutch Shell and France’s Total met with His Highness the Emir, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani and have reportedly been seeking roles in the expansion of gas production that Qatar announced earlier

Qatar has been accused of creating around 23,000 fake Twitter accounts in order to create dissent in Saudi. 

A spokeswoman from the State Department of the US said that the Qatar crisis could potentially go on for weeks or months and could possibly intensify. 

July 7 

The four Arab states that placed a blockade on Qatar said that they will enact new measures in an “appropriate and timely manner.” 

James Mattis, the Defence Secretary of the US spoke to his Qatari counterpart and stressed the importance of the security-partnership of the US with Qatar and thanked Qatar to the US-led coalition in fighting ISIS.  

The Finance Minister of Qatar, HE Ali Sharif Al Emadi said that Qatar is in a good position and is rich enough to face the threats brought on by the blockade.

The National Human Rights Committee of Qatar filed a report to UNESCO, detailing the violations committed by educational institutions against Qatari students in the UAE, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. The Chariman of the NHRC said that some of the violations included certificates being withheld, students being prevented from taking final examinations and their registrations being canceled without reason. 

July 8

The Foreign Secretary of the UK, Boris Johnson visited Qatar and spoke with His Highness, the Emir. He stressed the importance for dialogues and his support for mediation efforts by Kuwait during the crisis.

July 9

The Qatar Ports Management Company, Mwani Qatar launched five new direct service lines from Hamad port to several ports in the region in less than 20 days. 

Qatar has announced the formation of a committee to seek reparation worth potentially billions of dollars as a result of the blockade placed on it by the Saudi-led bloc. Qatar’s Attorney General, Ali bin Fetais Al-Marri said that the Compensation Claims Committee will be handling claims made by public institutions, private companies and individuals. 

July 10 

The Qatar Central Bank governor, Sheikh Abdullah Bin Saoud Al-Thani said that Qatar has $340 billion in reserves

US Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson is going to be visiting Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia this week, to help resolve the crisis. 

A new hashtag in Arabic, قطر_تتعامل_بالجن# translating to “Qatar employs jinns,” has been trending on Twitter, with users in Qatar turning it into a joke after accusations of witchcraft by a journalist from a Saudi media network.